Monday, March 19, 2012

R.E. Style Feature : SweetAmbs Cookies

I am so happy today to feature SweetsAmbs, a custom cookie shop owned by Amber Spiegel. Her gorgeous cookie designs have been featured in InStyle Magazine, Your Wedding Day Magazine, and Cake Central Magazine. One peek into her Etsy shop and it's easy to see why her sweet edibles have received so much attention. 

Gold Thread Cookies - Set of 6 Orange Vanilla Spice Cookies 

Baked with high quality ingredients, flavored with fresh orange zest, cardamom, and Madagascar vanilla bean, and meticulously decorated by hand, each cookie is as beautiful as it is mouthwatering. Her original designs are delicate, detailed and truly little works of art. She also welcomes custom work. As she told me, "I match colors, fonts and other design elements for weddings or occasions of any kind." Read on for more of my interview with Amber...


Monogram Cookies in Gray - Set of 6 Orange Vanilla Spice CookiesAntique Shoe Cookies - Set of 6 
 

What was your background before you began SweetAmbs?
I received a Bachelor’s degree in business administration from Ithaca College in 2005. A few months after graduation, I went on to study pastry at The Culinary Institute in Hyde Park, New York. Since then I’ve worked in many different types of food service establishments from a wholesale bakery to a small cafĂ©. My favorite of all the jobs I had before starting SweetAmbs was my position at Wilton Industries, where I decorated cakes and cookies for publications and packaging.


Hand Painted Cookies - 6 Large and 6 mini Orange Vanilla Spice Cookies 

What inspired you to start SweetAmbs?
I was inspired to start SweetAmbs by my mom, who after seeing my first batch of decorated cookies, encouraged me to open my online shop on Etsy.com. Cookies are the best way for me to combine my love of baking and art. And, since they are easy to ship, it allows me to share my craft with people all over the world.

Describe your work in 5 words. 
Elegant, delicious, unique, detailed, beautiful.


 


What is your work space like?
I have a small bakeshop in Upstate New York. It’s just big enough to fit me and my stuff. I’m really lucky to work in a space with huge windows and lots of natural light, which is great for taking photos of my work. It’s the first bakery in which I’ve worked that isn’t in a basement.
What are you doing when you are not creating? When I’m not busy decorating cookies or coming up with new designs, I’m doing some mundane business related task such as organizing receipts. But, when I do find myself with free time, I’m usually browsing local antique stores and vintage shops, which is where I get most of the inspiration for my designs. 

Love - 4 large and 16 mini Orange Vanilla Spice Cookies  
Who or what inspires you?
My parents and grandparents have been the biggest inspirations in my life. I come from a family of artists and entrepreneurs and I’m blessed to be able to follow in their footsteps.
What advice would you give to couples seeking to make their wedding memorable and special?
Including handmade items in your wedding is a great way to make it a memorable and special day. Etsy is an amazing online marketplace for all kinds of handmade items and most sellers are willing to create something customized to your taste.
Where to find SweetAmbs:
Web: www.sweetambs.com
Etsy: www.sweetambs.etsy.com
Blog: www.amberspiegel.blogspot.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/sweetambscookies
Twitter: www.twitter.com/sweetambs


All photos courtesy of SweetAmbs

Would you like to see your wedding related business featured on Rew Elliott Style? Submit today!

4 comments:

  1. *GASP!* These cookies are SO BEAUTIFUL!

    Thank you for introducing this AMAZING shop to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super YUM!!! Is this art or desert so hard to tell..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...