Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Rew Behind Rew Elliott

I get a lot of people asking where the name Rew Elliott comes from. Some people think it's my name, others think I just pulled it out of the air. The truth is that my business is named after my late brother.



I named my business in the fall of 2005, shortly after I first began making jewelry. It all started rather simply -  I made jewelry on my lunch break as creative therapy and as a way to keep my mind and hands occupied. I soon began to realize that I really liked creating beautiful pieces and that people really liked what I was making.

My brother, Andrew Elliott, had passed away a few months earlier. Rew, as we often called him, was taken at the tender age of 21. Far too young and most unexpectedly. When it came time to put an actual name to my little business and as my vision began to grow beyond making jewelry as a hobby, I was never in doubt as to what I should call my company. And so Rew Elliott was born.

I could write much more than a single blog post about his incredible life, but even then I doubt I could do him justice. He was a remarkable person, and though he was my little brother, I look up to him in many ways. 



He had such passion and enthusiasm. He was a risk taker who was always pushing the envelope and striving for the next level. Yet he also had such a meticulous nature and such a desire for perfection in all that he did. These are qualities that I try to bring to my business and to my creative process. It's about more than just jewelry. It's about a desire to have my work be a part of special moments - weddings, anniversaries, graduations, births, sweet sixteens, I love you's, I miss you's... It's about making memories.

As my business expands beyond jewelry, into this blog and beyond, I know that keeping his memory front and center is the key to my success. Call me Rew, call me Rew E., call me Kristin. I get them all and don't mind any of them. But understand that every time I type Rew Elliott, every tag I put on a necklace, every time I pass out a business card or click "publish post" on the blog that bears his name... I feel I am keeping his memory alive, and I hope part of him shines through. 

Thank you for reading my blog and blessings to you all -
XOXO
Kristin


5 comments:

  1. I miss him too. Your work is a beautiful reflection of your love for him!

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss, but it's hard to imagine a more meaningful way of keeping Drew's spirit alive and celebrating his life. Thank you for sharing, Kristin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emotional, encouraging, etherial! What a touching story...thanks for sharing.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the sweetest memorial I have heard in years... truly touching! God bless you, Kristin.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...